Monday, November 2, 2009

Where did the fire come from?

One of my daily tasks is to prepare breakfast every morning. Last Friday morning, I was going through my usual, drowsy routine of getting up before light had broken to make the trek to the kitchen. Everything was going on as usual:
unlock front door - √
turn on eating area light - √
turn on kitchen light - √
unlock refrigerator door - √
bring food out of refrigerator - √
light stove -....
As I went to light the stove, there were no matches to be found. I look high and low, in the nooks and in the crannies, over and under, left and right = nothing! I looked in the storage room behind the kitchen, in the bakery, in the storage area again, in the kitchen... still nothing. What was I to do, I needed matches?! Normally such a thing would seem like such an emergency, but with such a tight schedule it was important that food for these 45 kids was ready on time, if the food wasn't ready on time, then the whole groove of the morning would be thrown off. I walked outside again, trying to figure out what it was that I was going to do. I said a quick prayer that God would help me find some matches and headed back into the kitchen again. As I looked up, a small, yellow flicker caught my eye. It was fire! But where was it coming from? The stove! But I hadn't turned on the stove, let alone lit it! I was quickly able to make up for time lost and like every morning, the food was warmly awaiting the kids as they entered the cafeteria.
Who turned the stove on? Where did the fire come from?... what do you think?
I cooked with God this morning :)

No comments: